Friday, January 16, 2009

Freezer goodies for the lunchbox.....

Yum. Mexican food. I think we had it almost everyday this week :)












It was also a good time to make extra for burritos. I started parttime work this week and thought it would be a good idea to make some lunch items.


We like spicy rice with beans and cheese in our burritos.






Some things to remember for freezer burritos-

1. Make small batches until you learn what flavors/textures you like.
2. Find a good brand of tortillas that will roll without cracking. Look for ones that are not to dry.
3. Don't make them to large.Most items you freeze should be smaller so they will reheat well. If you make them to large they will dry out when you cook them and still be cold in the middle.
4.Get all your supplies ready and set up a assembly line. Enlist help if you can.
5. Freeze items on a tray or cookie sheet until frozen solid then place in ziploc bags or another freezer safe container so you can take out just what you need.
6. Most items will heat better if thawed somewhat, so they do well in a lunch box where they will have a few hours to thaw.





Here is the tray we made :)

I purchased the tortillas and a restaurant size can of black beans at GFS and cut costs by getting cheese at Costco. Cheese is only about 2.28 lb in big bags at my Costco.












We also made twice baked potatoes. I don't use a recipe any more but used to use this one saving most of the cheese for pressing into the top after they are assembled. I freeze them on a tray and then place them into ziploc bags. Just don't make them to thin :)



4 comments:

Kylie's Mom said...

Thanks for the burrito hints, my husband and I were just talking about making a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer.

Nico said...

Yum! Everything looks delicious :) I really need to restock my freezer (soon).

Birdie said...

Looks great!

LT said...

Thank you so much for the tips. I love your blog and I'm always looking for new menu ideas and tips.